Back-to-school time and the approach of fall makes a heartier breakfast all the more appreciated. Given the morning rush, quick and easy are also on the menu, and that’s certainly the case with this Apple Pie Oatmeal, which involves only a few minutes of prep and 15 minutes of cooking time. Best of all, you get to enjoy the sweet aroma of apple pie at breakfast with this creamy, whole grain oatmeal.
Short on time in the morning? Make the oatmeal the night before and warm it in the microwave the next morning with a splash of milk.
Speaking of milk, you can make this recipe a little richer and boost the calcium quotient by substituting milk for the water. To increase the amount of fibre, trying swapping pears for the apples. You can easily make use of your favourite seasonal fruit such as peaches, plums, strawberries or blueberries. Oatmeal is nothing if not adaptable.
No matter which fruit you opt for, you can adjust the melt-in-your-mouth feel by adding the fruit in earlier and cooking it until you get the desired texture.
Apple Pie Oatmeal
- 2-1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/3 cups large flake oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 Tbsp. dried cranberries (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and water to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Reduce heat to medium-low heat; stir in sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Cook, stirring for about 12 minutes or until almost thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in apple and cranberries, if using. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.