Looking for something quick and healthy? It’s a wrap
Quick, easy and requiring no cooking – a bit of bonus as muggy days are still part of the forecast – these Fresh Avocado and Bean Lettuce Wraps are an ideal part of your repertoire. And it’s a handy option when looking for something to have available for vegetarian tastes.
Creamy and colourful, these wraps come together in very little time. The crisp red bell peppers and lettuce add crunch. For an easy appetizer, prepare the bean filling separately from the lettuce, and assemble just before you’re ready to eat.
Avocados turn brown quickly so cut them up just before using them. You can also use a little lemon or lime juice to slow the process.
Bump up the colour in this recipe with sliced radishes or quartered cherry tomatoes.
To prep sundried tomatoes, place in a bowl and pour boiling water over top. Let it stand for about 3 minutes or until tender and soft. Drain water and chop sundried tomatoes to use in recipe.
Fresh Avocado and Bean Lettuce Wrap
- 1 can (540 ml/19 oz) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped reconstituted sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 small head Boston leaf lettuce
- 1 carrot, grated
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher or fork, mash beans until coarse. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, garlic and ground pepper until well distributed. Gently fold in avocado, red bell pepper and vinegar.
- Spoon bean mixture into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with carrot to serve.
- Makes 12 wraps.