Adjournment until Nov. 14 in latest legal challenge for Hahn

Woolwich councillor Scott Hahn’s election finance drama continues, with the latest legal challenge pushed back to Nov. 14 following an adjournment of the case. In a Kitchener courtroom Monday morning, Crown prosecutor Alexander Andres opted to refer the file to a regional prosecutor rather than pursuing the matter himself.

“The Crown has no position on the matter (at the moment),” Andres told the court.

Charges against Hahn were filed by Elmira resident Alan Marshall, who alleges the Ward 1 councillor violated the Municipal Elections Act in filing reports related to expenses from the 2014 election. Having looked at Marshall’s claims, Andres said he wants an outside perspective and a chance for further review.

Marshall’s case is the latest development in a saga that last year saw Hahn’s election expenses put under a magnifying glass by the Municipal Election Compliance Audit Committee (MECAC). A review and forensic audit found that while the councillor’s initial paperwork was inadequate, the problems weren’t significant enough to pass the file over to the provincial court for legal action.

Marshall, present in the Kitchener courtroom on Monday morning, said he doesn’t believe the Crown is doing all it can to see the case through.

“Ask me how much confidence I have in the judicial system right now. Bugger all,” he said. “Maybe on the 14th, if they say they go ahead, you will see a whole different attitude out of me, but for right now, this is all hoops and loops.”

A little more local for your inbox.

Seven days. One newsletter. Local reporting about people and places you
won't find anywhere else. Stay caught up with The Observer This Week.

Enter your email to subscribe. Unsubscribe anytime. We may send you promotional messages.
Please read our privacy policy.

Total
0
Shares



Related Posts
Total
0
Share