Fresh Ontario cauliflower is here – plump white heads are heaped up in grocery stores and markets everywhere. Now is the time to enjoy raw cauliflower; the flavour is more mild in summer than the cauliflower we get in winter.
Last week I made this Broccoli Cauliflower Salad, and just like every time I make it, I realized I need to make it again. Very soon! It is delicious. It is nice as a second salad or it can replace a hot vegetable side dish in summer. You can change the ingredients to your liking or add extras such as raisins, dried cranberries, nuts or seeds. This salad can be mixed a few hours before serving to allow the flavours to blend, especially that bacon flavour – you want that in every bite.
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite-sized pcs.
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pcs.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, as much as you dare
- 1 cup old cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup salted, roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 Tbsp. white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- Freshly grated black pepper
Put all salad ingredients into a large bowl.
Mix dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
Pour dressing over vegetables and toss lightly to coat.
If more dressing is needed, add a little Miracle Whip.
Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Serves approx. 10 people.