The blaze started was reported around 6:30 p.m. and saw approximately $300,000 worth of overall property damage ($200,000 in buildings and $100,000 in contents) according to Woolwich Township Deputy Fire Chief Dale Martin.
About 40 fire fighters battled the blaze that started with a chimney fire. The property owners were boiling a small amount of maple syrup in a workshop on the property when the fire started from the chimney of the wood stove they were using.
There were no injuries and no animals in the barn. The parked cars kept in the building were destroyed.
Deputy Chief Martin says the incident that took crews several hours to contain was purely accidental. The last fire truck left the scene at around 2 a.m.