Woolwich & Wellesley Township's Local Community Newspaper | Elmira, Ontario, Canada
Get notified of breaking news and more in the community.

Sign up for The Weekly. A Round up of the most important stories of the week, Breaking News and additional exclusive content just for subscribers.

Jacks end home-stand with a loss

After three wins on home ice, the Wellesley Applejacks’ Christmas luck finally gave out as the holidays wound down.

The team made it three in a row December 30 with a 4-1 win over Delhi before falling to the Tavistock Braves Wednesday night, a 5-4 overtime loss at the Wellesley arena.

On the eve of New Year’s Eve, the Jacks got off to a sluggish start, according to head coach Kevin Fitzpatrick but they soon picked up the slack.

Corey Way fights to keep the puck away from the opposition during Wednesday’s game against Tavistock. The Jacks lost 5-4 in overtime. [elena maystruk / the observer]
Corey Way fights to keep the puck away from the opposition during Wednesday’s game against Tavistock. The Jacks lost 5-4 in overtime. [elena maystruk / the observer]
“Their goalie played very well,” said Fitzpatrick of Delhi. “We had a good last half of the second period and a very good third period.”

Wellesley scored the first goal late into the first frame off the stick of Michael Pollice at 18:07, but the game-changer came in second. The Jacks were not reaching their full potential in the first half of the match but stepped up their game in the second half, a move that would eventually exhaust the opposition’s goalie.

Wellesley’s 12 shots on net would lead to a four-goal lead courtesy of Corey Way who scored at 0:28 and 3:21 and Tyler Eckert at 10:57.

“We really took it to them the last 10 minutes, they just ran out of legs. They had a lot of guys out of their lineup and their goalie I think finally got exhausted. We scored early in the third and we came right back and made it 4-0 and then they scored late,” Fitzpatrick said.

Delhi made a late-game push five minutes before the buzzer but Wellesley would still skate away with a 4-1 victory.

Back on the ice the second day of the new year, Wellesley had more rotten luck. Again getting off to a slow start in the first, Wellesley spotted the first two goals of the first frame to Tavistock before continuing to act like Santa by letting Tavistock find the back of the net again in second at 1:21.

Fighting now to even thing up, the Jacks regrouped to double their efforts, answering with goals of their own courtesy of Mark Detzler at 5:28 and Luke Rose at 10:48. The Jacks were still one behind when Tavistock pulled ahead to a two-point lead with a goal at 12:57, leaving the Jacks to play catch-up in the third.

The boys in red played an aggressive third frame, potting the only two goals in the period at 9:14 and 11:38, but coming up short in overtime where Tavistock cemented their win.

As players continue to recuperate, the team’s roster is beginning to fill up, making coaches optimistic about the rest of the season.

Home to Delhi Friday night, the Jacks then hit the road for a Sunday night match against Burford. That will be followed by a stop in Delhi Wednesday night for another game against the Travellers.


Previous Article

A different take on vaccines

Next Article

Newly minted church rapidly grows out of the nest

Related Posts
observerxtra.com uses cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. See Cookie Policy.